HLCC Building and Club History


On July 29, 1921, thirty-six residents gathered at the home of Ferdinand J. Hahn and organized the Haller Lake Improvement Club, citing a need for an organized voice for the community to push for road construction, street lighting, and the opening of a school.  Officers were elected two weeks later, and articles of incorporation were requested from King County in a letter dated July 27, 1922.  Dues began at fifty cents per month, but were halved the following April to stimulate more membership.

A building committee for the construction of a clubhouse gathered the following January, and residents were requested to invest in a building fund.  The fund grew rapidly, and the building site was purchased that summer for $800 from a certain Mr. Anderson.  A groundbreaking ceremony was held on July 4, 1922.  The building was projected to cost $8000.  Although the club’s board started holding meetings in the building in mid-1923, a celebratory event marking its final completion was held on May 16, 1925, at a final cost of $12,000.

– Greg Dziekonsk, HLCC Historian